The Corners are small, American-style libraries created to help increase mutual understanding between Bosnia and Herzegovina and the United States by making available information about America in a variety of formats.
The goal of American Corners is to broaden the range of information of the United States, it’s history, science, culture, people, legislative, political system, commerce… and to address a wide range of people, specialists and lay persons alike, who have an interest about given problems and their search for information about the United States.
All Corners in Bosnia and Herzegovina are built upon the core concept of local partnership. Sponsored jointly by the U.S. Embassy in Sarajevo and a local host institution, public library or cultural center, the American Corners promote mutual understanding between Bosnia and Herzegovina and the United States, and reinforce intercultural exchange and friendship between our peoples.
All American Corners have a professional bilingual librarian trained to help you find information about the United States. These friendly, easily-accessible places offer the following services:
- free membership
- access to over 2,500 English language books, magazines and newspapers
- access to computers and internet
- access to the latest technology (Ipads, E-readers, Digital Video Conferencing)
- exam preparation kits (TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT)
- U.S. Government reports and other publications
The Corners invite you to come and participate in many wonderful programs and events, including:
- Presentations, workshops, lectures by distinguished Americans
- Exhibits and paper shows
- English Teachers’ Corner
- English Language Hour (Conversation Hour, discussiongroups, Debate Club)
- Children’s Corner (workshops, story-telling, contests, play-hour)
- Book clubs
- Feature film projections
- Educational Advising Center’s presentations
- International Education Week
- Spelling Bee regional competitions